February 8, 2009

A little thread and a lot of imagination...




This wall hanging was made for my sister Jenn and I by a family friend when we lived in Africa in the early 70's (that's me on the right.. loving my trousers right now!). It is completely hand stitched and has some fantastic detail which I remember studying repeatedly as a child, I found the whole picture fascinating and I loved imagining animals living like that. The picture includes some of our clothing scraps - the striped material was Jenn's school uniform and I remember the floral material under the top fence being a dress for one of us. The wall hanging is now in Anya's room - oh so Vintage and oh so cute!

I love that we kept it (thanks Mum) and I suspect it was my subconscious inspiration for my soft books and pictures over a year ago. I only just pulled it out of the cupboard and gave it a wash a few months back. I have also used the "clothesline" idea several times in my books.

3 comments:

Jenn Ballard said...

oh my goodness .. i remember that! How did you score it. WOW. Flashbacks!

Diane said...

WOuld you believe, that wall hanging brings back memories for me as well - can't quite grasp them - maybe just the feelings.
I am wondering what my children have that they will remember with nostalgic pleasure in years down the track.

Jane Elise said...

I love this photo of you and Jenn!